Friday, March 5, 2010

A day in the life of a Smith

Today on Kelly's Korner is Show Us Your Life Friday. This week's theme is what a typical day looks like in your family.

Well no day is typical around here. So I am going to go through the whole crazy week! If you find this incredibly boring I apologize! But I would really like to remember 10 years from now just how crazy we think our life is at this point in time. Because I am sure it will be even crazier then!

Sunday
Every Sunday morning I usually wake up around 7:30 or 8:00 and hop in the shower. Usually when I am in the shower I get the shower curtain pulled back to see Taylor standing there awake and ready to go! After I get out of the shower I usually go ahead and fill up the bathtub for Taylor and Liam to get in (I know most people give their kids baths on Saturday nights...but Taylor's hair looks so much better when it has not been slept on, so she takes baths in the morning!). They splash around in the tub and get clean while I dry my hair. They get washed and out of the tub and then we usually wake Daddy up. We try to let him sleep as long as he can on Sunday mornings because he gets up so so early the rest of the week! But a lot of times he does get up to help with bathtime! So we all get ready and then head to Sunday School and church. After church we eat lunch (usually at home now, but occasionally we still go out somewhere). Then it is naptime! Liam and Taylor both love love love their Sunday afternoon naps. I think they have a little of their Nonnie in them. Most Sunday afternoons I am studying or writing a paper and Will is watching the race or a ballgame and just relaxing, which he doesn't get to do often. Then it is back to church at 6:00 for preschool choir (which I do with Misty Magill). Then church at 7:00 and home after that to eat supper and watch TV until we go to bed!

Monday and Friday
Mondays and Fridays are pretty much the same because those are the two days that I stay home with the kids! Daddy gets up at 5:15 and heads to work. Liam and Taylor are usually my alarm clock. They wake up usually around 8:30 or 9:00. But they have been known to sleep until 9:30 or 10:00! I love that they love to sleep! We have a pretty low key morning. If it is Monday I start washing clothes. We eat breakfast and then play and watch cartoons all morning. We eat lunch and settle down a little bit. Liam goes down for a nap around 1:00 usually and sleeps anywhere from 2 to 3 hours (sometimes more if I let him...but then he is hard to get to sleep at night!). Taylor sometimes takes a nap, but other times she watches a movie and just rests. I spend this time either doing school work, washing more clothes, taking a shower (finally!), or just playing on the internet. I also try to catch up on my DVR during this time. After Liam wakes up the kids usually have a snack and Daddy gets home at about 4:00 now (if he is working 10s he doesn't get home until 6:00 though). We all spend a little time playing and then we eat supper. If it is a Monday night I usually have studying or a paper to finish up so Will keeps the kids in the den while I am studying away in our room. Or sometimes on Monday nights we go to the grocery store as a family...what an adventure! Then we all settle in on the couch to go to sleep. (that is a whole different story of why we have to sit on the couch to get our kids to go to sleep! we plan on working on that later!) I know it doesn't seem like I do a whole lot on these days, but remember that there are many diaper changes, trips to the potty, whining, and breaking up fights! There is also lots of cuddling... and I love that part most!

Tuesdays
Tuesdays are our crazy days right now. Me and Will both get up around 5:15 (well sometimes I don't get up until 5:30). Will goes to work and I get ready for school. I am usually ready by 6:30. I wake Taylor up, get her ready, then I wake Liam up, get him ready and then carry them both downstairs (yes carry both of them at the same time!!!) and get in the car. The secret to this going off without a hitch is having everyone's clothes picked out the night before! It is usually 7:00 by this time. I take them to school (daycare) and drop them off then I start the hour and a half drive to Carson-Newman. I am in class from 9-5. Will picks up the kids and feeds them supper. Right now we have our Dave Ramsey class at church on Tuesday nights so we meet up there at about 6:30. That class lasts until 8:30 and then it is home, pajamas, and bed! Long day but all of it is well worth it!

Wednesdays and Thursdays
On Wednesday and Thursday the morning routine is exactly the same as Tuesday...just instead of me heading to Carson-Newman I go to clinicals. I am only have to drive to downtown Knoxville right now so the drive only takes me about 45 minutes. I can usually pick the kids up from school on these days. We come home and are sometimes surprised by supper already being ready thanks to the most wonderful Daddy! On Wednesdays we go to church for mission friends, prayer meeting, and Acteens (which I teach with Jessica Armes). Then I have choir practice after that so Will takes the kids home, puts on pajamas, and has everybody ready to get ready for bed by the time I get home. Thursdays are usually relaxing evenings for us just playing and watching TV

Saturdays
Oh Saturdays! This is our everybody gets to sleep really late morning! Like I said before, the kids will usually sleep until 8:30 or 9:30...and so do me and Will! Most Saturdays we just hang out and home. Sometimes I have school stuff to do so I am locked up in our room all day, but most of the time we all just hang out and play and eat and watch TV. We are really looking forward to it being warm so we can get the kids outside to play! Saturdays are also reserved for haircuts, Grandma visits occasionally, and shopping trips (which are few and far between these days). Sometimes me and Will will rent a Redbox movie on Saturday nights that we watch after the kids go to bed. And then there are the very very rare Saturdays that I actually work!

So that is our crazy schedule! And this is how it will be until I get out of school next May. The summer should be a little more laid back because I will only have school on Tuesdays and no clinicals. It is a crazy crazy life but we love it. I think the thing that would make it better is living it in our own house! But I know God has plans for us and I can see Him working in our lives. I know it won't be too much longer now! But He has already blessed us more than we deserve...so we will continue to patiently wait!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, props to you because I don't know how you do it! I am also a full-time grad student, but I don't have kids. I do work full-time, but when I leave work I get to leave. Good job with the kids and school, and good luck! :)

Heather said...

I loved reading this and loved that you broke it up into each day! You have a beautiful family, and hope you have a great weekend!

Amanda P. said...

Wow! You have such a busy schedule. I bet you'll be excited to be finished with school and clinicals. Your children are adorable!

Julia said...

Whew! And I thought our days were crazy! I don't know how you do it all. I would go nuts!