Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tubes...again

I feel like I have written this post before...

Probably because just about every 12-18 months, one of my children has been getting tubes in their ears!
This time, it was Liam's turn. He has had 6 ear infections since late December. So enough is enough and it is time for tubes to be put in his ears again. He had his first set right before he turned 1 year old. This time the doctor decided to take his adenoids out too. Liam snores a lot when he sleeps and he also breathes through his mouth a lot. Probably because his little nose is so swollen from the enlarged adenoids.

We got to the surgery center today at 8:00am. Taylor spent the night with Diana last night so we didn't have to worry about getting her anywhere and I was so thankful! I had to sign him in and do all the insurance stuff. We were so glad that Daddy got to come with us! Liam played in the waiting room while we waited. A little later we went back to the pre-op area and they got Liam all ready for surgery. He changed into a little gown, got his blood pressure and temperature taken, and then got to color. He did really good back there. They came in and gave him his "happy juice" and it took a little while to kick in. But when it did...
He was feeling great! They came to get him and he let us hug him and kiss him and he laid down on the stretcher with Hamm and got wheeled away without a care in the world. I was so glad he didn't cry!

Me and Will went back out to the waiting room and Richard, our preacher, was out there waiting. We sat with him until they called us back to talk to the surgeon. It didn't take too long, I think we were in the waiting room for maybe 30 minutes. The surgeon (Dr. Ray) told us that Liam did great and that his adenoids were really large so he was glad he took them out. We had to wait for maybe 15 more minutes until they called us back to the recovery room to see him.
He was pitiful. He was crying but after I got to hold him and rock him he calmed down pretty quickly. He just wanted to sleep at first, but after a little bit he decided to have some juice and a popcicle. They took his IV out and we got our discharge instructions and then we headed home.

We made the mistake of not taking the apple juice that they gave us in the recovery room with us. I had brought a cup of apple juice from home and offered him that, but he wanted nothing to do with that apple juice. He wanted his apple juice from the surgery center. I finally had to climb in the back of the van with him to try to get him to calm down. It didn't help. We dropped off Liam's prescriptions at Walgreens and then headed home. Will went back to Walgreens, picked up the prescriptions, brought them home, and then he went on to work so that he didn't have to take so much vacation time. Liam wanted nothing to do with resting. He wanted to eat and drink and jump around and be crazy. I let him drink some chocolate milk and about 5 minutes later he threw that up. He still wanted to eat so I let him have some cheeze-its. He was able to keep that down. It was finally time to give him some more pain medicine at 2:30. It took it about an hour to kick in, but finally at 3:30 he went to sleep. Right in time for Taylor to be dropped off at 4:00. But thankfully, Nonnie was coming to pick Taylor up to spend the night with her.

Me and Liam had a pretty low-key night, the power went off for a little bit and my ipod battery was dead. That was interesting. Luckily the computer was charged up and we watched a movie on the computer. The power was off for about an hour and a half. Will came home late, and we all finally got to go to sleep. We are going to Splash Country tomorrow. I am sure we are crazy for going, but I think Liam will be fine. Maybe he will take a long nap and I can rest in the shade with him! 

1 comment:

Mona said...

Nonnie to the rescue, right? I am always available to nap in the shade with the kids - remember that!