Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First Day at a New School

Today was Taylor and Liam's first day at their new "school."


They started at a new school for a few different reasons, the main one being location and convenience. But I was never completely satisfied with their previous school. It isn't that I didn't like it or didn't think they were being taken care of...because if that was the case I would have pulled them out of there a long time ago. It was just that I felt like they needed to be somewhere else. It was a feeling that I never could get past. But their previous school was great with them and they enjoyed going there for the past year and a half while I was at school.


So anyways...today was their first day at their new school. They are going to the daycare that I used to go to when I was a preschooler. I also used to work there as a substitute one summer. I know almost all the workers there and some of our friends' children go to there. So we were all excited for their first day!


We took our time getting ready for their first day. It was still very snowy outside and I wanted it to warm up just a little bit before we headed out. Liam got up around 7:30 and laid in my bed and watched Mickey Mouse and ate a poptart while I took a shower and got ready. I was done about 8:15 or so and decided I better wake Taylor up. I got her up and got them both dressed. I made their lunches (they both wanted beefaroni, a banana, and yogurt) and got all their stuff out to the car. We probably left around 9:10 or 9:15.



Here is Taylor all excited. She is most excited because she got to bring her lunch. They were provided with a lunch at their old school, so a lunchbox was very new and exciting to them. I am sure it will get old having to fix their lunch every day, but right now I am enjoying it!

Liam was even excited about going to school, and he is never excited about leaving Mommy!

Heading inside!

They both did pretty good for their first morning at a new place. We had visited 2 times before, so they were slightly familiar with the daycare. We got their extra clothes put away and put their pillows and blankets in their room. Both of their classes were in the gym when we got there, so we headed that way. They were both a little apprehensive about saying goodbye. I can't blame them, we have been together every single day since the week of Christmas. So I know it was a hard separation for them. Taylor started to get really clingy when she realized I was fixing to leave. I picked her up and gave her a big hug and gave her over to her teacher (well, actually it wasn't her real teacher, but the 4 year old class teacher because her teacher couldn't make it in that day due to snow!). She was reluctant to let go, but she did and her teacher took her over to some of the other kids.

Liam then quickly realized that it was his turn to be handed off and he grabbed my hand and tried to pull me toward the door. He looked at me like, "well, this was fun and all but me and Mom are getting out of here and going home!" I picked him up and he gave me a big big bear hug and lots of little boy kisses. I handed him to his teacher and he started crying a little bit. But I knew he would be fine. I went to the office to write them a check and before I had left Liam's teacher came up there and said that he had already stopped crying and was playing with blocks!

I got to go back home and rest after dropping them off. I had a lot of TV to catch up on and even though I didn't get through with half of it, I did make progress and enjoyed just being at the house by myself for a little bit.

I went to pick the kids up around 4:00. Taylor was in her classroom playing dress up. She kinda acted like she didn't want to leave! But I got her and then headed to the gym to pick up Liam. He was at the other end of the gym when I walked in and he started running full speed towards me and Taylor when he saw us. Taylor scooped him up when he got over there and gave him a big big hug. Then I got my big hug. Both of their teachers said they ate all their lunch and were so good. Liam's teacher said he fell asleep for a nap after 5 minutes of laying down. Taylor's teacher said she never did fall asleep, but that she laid quietly while everyone else took a nap. That didn't surprise me at all, as she has given up naptime completely at home!

On the way home Taylor told me that Liam was crying a little bit when I left so she got him and took him over to the blocks. She said then he was a lot better. I thought it was the sweetest thing that she was so concerned about him and made sure that he didn't cry too much. She said they built a castle together. It melted my heart.

I am so glad that they had a good first day at their new school. I hope they truly enjoy their time there. I know it won't be long before I am sending them off to big school. It makes me want to cry just thinking about how fast they are growing up! But I am so happy that my children are growing up to be smart, polite little people who are inquisitive and strong-willed. It is trying sometimes, but I know that their personalities are going to take them far!

1 comment:

Mona said...

Does it feel strange to be sending your children to the same place you went? I'm glad they did OK - they will love it there!