With all that we have had going on this summer I have struggled to find a time to take Liam to the doctor for his 3 year check-up.
But today was the day!
The day started out with us going to Oakdale School. Our church was involved with giving out backpacks and school supplies to kids who might not otherwise get new things for school this year. The kids came to Riverfront park on Friday evening and picked out their backpack and filled it up with needed school supplies. We were then going to deliver the backpacks to the school to make sure that the kids actually got the supplies. So I volunteered to take the backpacks to Oakdale. We met Grandma at the school and she helped us carry them in and get them sorted into the different grades. She said the teachers would come by later in the day and find the backpacks that belonged to kids in their class.
Then we went back to see Grandma's new office. She had a few things to give us. Her office is in the back of the library. When we were walking out of her office getting ready to leave Taylor stopped and looked around and went over to one of the shelves in the library. She looked at me and said, "Momma, this kind of looks like a library." I just laughed and said that is exactly what this is! She looked puzzled and said, "A library in a school? That's silly!" She is a funny little girl! I guess she never thought that there would be a library in a school!
Anyways, next we headed up to Oak Ridge to go to Liam's check-up. I was afraid that he wouldn't cooperate, he has a tendency to be like that, so on the way up there I kept telling him that I was going to get to get on the scale and be weighed but he wasn't. He insisted that yes, he was going to get weighed! And then I told him that I was going to get to play a game and look at pictures on a wall, but he wasn't. He again said, yes, he would be playing that game! Worked like a charm.
He hopped right up on that scale and let them weigh and measure him. He even let them take his blood pressure and temperature without any problem.
His official stats were
37.5lbs (90th percentile)
39.5 inches (75th-90th percentile)
So he is quite a big boy!
He played on the Ipod while the doctor listened to him and looked in his ears. He said he couldn't hear his murmur right now, so that is good. It usually only shows up when he has a fever or is feeling sick. He said his tubes looked good (which I knew because we had just been to the ENT on Friday).
Liam cooperated with most of the eye exam and has 20/20 vision in both eyes. He wouldn't do each individual eye, but they said that was ok for now. It was rather difficult to get Liam to put his clothes back on. He was very upset that the doctor only let him have one sticker. He usually lets him have 2, but said he was running low on stickers today so he only needed to take one to make sure he had enough for the rest of the day. This was very upsetting to Liam. He got his one sticker, but he refused to put his clothes on until he got another sticker. So I let him pitch his little fit on the exam table. I got his shirt on over his head, but he wouldn't let me put his arms in and he wouldn't let me put his pants or shoes on. So I carried him outside in just his underwear. I am pretty sure the nurse laughed at us on the way out, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. He rode home like that. He cried for a long time about not getting 2 stickers, but he eventually got over it.
When we got home Liam wanted macaroni and cheese and a milkshake for lunch, so that is what he got. They like having homemade "milkshakes." They think it is a very special treat. All it is is a little bit of ice cream stirred around with some milk. It made his day though.
The rest of the day was filled with playing and washing towels and washing dishes. Then it was time to head over to Taylor's tumbling class. She had a big surprise when she got there today...her friend Maya was there! She has been missing her all summer and she finally got to see her again. They literally talked the whole class. It was really cute.
Then we went back home to get supper ready for Daddy. He is working his 8th 12 hour shift in a row. I am hoping that these 12 hour shifts and working on the weekends ends soon. I enjoy having a helper with the kids in the evenings and it has been really tough without him home. I know that he is really tired too.
So that was our day. I am trying to soak up these last few days at home with Taylor. It is not going to be the same around here with her at school.
2 comments:
That is funny about the ipod entertaining him. He may have to get his own for Christmas!! At least he cooperated for the visit. Too bad he had to ride home without any clothes on!
Taylor with do just fine at school, especially at one with a LIBRARY!! She may find a lot of other things there that she didn't expect. She will be so excited when she finally gets to start!!
Post a Comment