Saturday, July 7, 2012

Welcome Kelsey Rae Smith

Welcome to the world little girl!
 
 
I was really really hoping that I would go into labor on my own this time since I had to be induced with both Taylor and Liam. I thought we were well on our way to that happening since I made it past my due date and was contracting some on my own.

But that just isn't what happened.

Will was off work the whole week of the 4th because his project shuts down that week. So he was really hoping that I would have the baby the beginning of his time off so that he would have a whole week off with us. I will admit, that would have been nice. But my due date came and went and still no baby, even with all the walking I did to get to the fireworks and back. So back to work I went on Thursday and worked like a dog that day. And then I went to work on Friday and honestly didn't do that much but I was still just so tired. I had a doctor's appointment at 3 that day so Will took the kids to his mom's house and met me to go to the appointment. We got up there and Dr. Walker checked me and said that I was still 2cm and 80% effaced. Same thing that I had been for over 3 weeks. She wanted to do an ultrasound to check on the baby and estimate her weight and then do a non-stress test to make sure everything was ok. If it was we were going to schedule an induction for 41 weeks probably.
 
 
During the ultrasound the amniotic fluid looked great (AFI of 9), the cord flow looked good, she was moving good...but she wouldn't make any breathing movements. The ultrasound tech measured her and said she probably weighed around 7lbs, 1oz. She said we would come back after the non-stress test to see if we could get her to breathe. So they took me to this big comfy chair and hooked me up to the monitor and we waited. Will informed me of all the times I was contracting and how big they looked on the monitor. And when the strip got long enough he let me see the strip and I could tell that it didn't look good. The heartrate was very steady and wasn't fluctuating like it should. I was a little worried, but for some reason I still wasn't thinking it was baby day yet. I was on the monitor for about 20 minutes I think when Dr. Walker came in and said it was time to have a baby. She said that her heartrate did not look good which probably meant that the placenta was starting to fail. She asked if both of my other deliveries were vaginal deliveries which made me worry that she was thinking c-section. But she said to go on over to labor and delivery and we would start the induction.
 
 
I had a bit of a breakdown when we got in the car and I started to panic just a little bit. I was worried about Taylor and Liam and what we were going to do with them since we didn't have a plan and there weren't too many people jumping at the chance to keep them while I was at the hospital. I was worried about the baby and scared about another delivery and knew that Will was going to have to leave to get the bags even though I wanted him right by my side the whole time. But in the short drive over to the hospital I managed to compose myself so that the valet people didn't think I was crazy when we got out of the car. We made our way up to labor and delivery and got put in a room. While we waited on the nurses we called Will's mom to ask if she cared to keep the kids for us and of course she said she would. That was the only phone call we made for a few minutes because I knew the rest of the family would start freaking out and want to be up there right then but I just couldn't handle all that right then. So the nurses came in and got my IV started and got me hooked up to the monitor. The baby's heartrate was already looking a little bit better and I was actually contracting a little bit more. Dr. Walker got there really quickly and was going to break my water and start pitocin. When she checked me again she decided the best thing to do would be to put in cervidil and wait to break my water in the morning. I thought that sounded like a good plan, especially since they were going to let me eat supper! We called my side of the family and let them know the plan and of course Nonnie was ready to hit the road and be up there right then. But we convinced them all that the best thing to do would be to wait until morning to come because nothing was going to happen until then anyways. At around 5:30 I think I told Will to go ahead and go get the bags and get the kids settled at his mom's house so that he would be back sooner rather than later. So he left and the nurse came in at 5:50 and put the cervidil in. Which meant that I had to lean back in bed and eat my supper. I didn't eat much of it, but definitely finished the cheesecake! I had to lay like that for 2 hours so I tried to rest and watch some tv. But I couldn't rest and nothing interesting was on tv. So I just laid there and waited on Will to get back.
 
 
Will returned with all our stuff around 8pm I think. He helped me up to the bathroom and we took a few "last belly pictures"
I was already looking pretty rough after working all day.
 
 
We were settling in for the night and Will was watching the race when we all of a sudden heard a commotion in the room next to us. Then we started hearing yelling down the hallway and I sent Will out to investigate. He said there was a pregnant lady running down the hallway with her IV pole in hand cussing and carrying on while the security guards were escorting her baby daddy out of the hospital. The lady then proceeded to rip her IV out and sling it across the hall and then she got chewed out by Dr. Walker. Dr. Walker actually came in the room a few minutes later and said that everything was fine now. But then she came in maybe 10 minutes after that and said we were moving to a new room. So we (well, Will and the nurses) loaded up all our stuff and headed to another hallway and a new room. Dr. Walker got me settled in my new bed and all was quiet again. We were actually starting to drift off to sleep for the night when at around 11pm Dr. Walker came in and wanted to check me again. She did and said I was still 2cm and 80% but that the baby had come down a little more so she grabbed the amnio hook and broke my water before I really knew what was happening. It was not a pleasant experience. She said we were going to go ahead and start pitocin and get the show on the road. She was only on call until 8am and I think she really wanted to deliver the baby.

So much for sleeping during the night! The contractions started picking up almost immediately. But for the first hour I was still feeling ok. I was starting to feel the contractions much more by the end of the first hour so I wanted the nurse to check me just to see if I had made any progress...but no such luck. I was still 2cm. So I told her I thought I could make it a little longer. After another hour I was really feeling the contractions and just wanted it to be over. So I told the nurse that I was ready for the epidural. She said it was going to be a good 30 - 45 minutes before he could get up there because he was in the OR and had to call someone else in to watch the OR while he came up there and did my epidural. So I waited. And I hurt. Will was right there with me the whole time though letting me know when the contractions were starting and when they were letting up. The nurse kept coming in and turning up the pitocin and I could have shot her! I know my contractions were already about 2 - 3  minutes apart and there was no need in turning up that pitocin. Finally at about 1:45 I asked her if she could turn it down some and she just turned it off. I was about to pee all over myself so I got up to the bathroom which was quite comical with my water being broke and me hurting so bad.

Right at 2am the anesthesiologist got up to the room and got to work. Within 15 minutes I was laying back in the bed and starting to feel my toes go tingly. Worth every penny we were going to pay for that epidural. The nurse had already turned the pitocin back on and she checked me and I was 3cm. I was able to rest a lot during the rest of the morning. The nurse came in and checked me at random times and at 5:45am I was 4cm. Then at 7am I was 4-5cm. At 7:50am the nurse checked me just to make sure I wasn't ready to deliver since Dr. Walker was about to go home...I was 5cm.

I believe it was around this time that Will went out to the waiting room to eat breakfast and bring the rest of the crew in with him. I was still wanting to rest some, and I guess everyone wanted to sit in there and stare at me sleeping...so momma, daddy, kimberly, and amber came in and sat. I tried to sleep some more because I knew it was going to be a long day and after the baby was born there was going to be no more restful sleep for a while...but it was just awkward with everyone in there.


The nurse checked me again at 10:15 and I was 6-7cm and then at 10:45 I was 8cm. Diana called Will a little before this and told him she was on her way up with the kids. I was glad because I really wanted to see them before the baby got here. When they got there Will went out to get them but Taylor decided she didn't want to see me before the baby came (she later regretted this and has been a little upset that she didn't get to see my big belly one last time). But Liam came back and gave me a hug and a kiss and kissed my belly one last time. He wouldn't really talk to me but I know it was weird for him seeing me in the hospital bed.


Will got Liam settled back in the lobby and right around 12:10pm the baby's heart rate went really low and stayed down for a few minutes. The nurse rushed right in and wanted to check me. She said that I was complete and it was time to deliver. But she didn't want me to start pushing until the heart rate came back up. So I was rolled side to side a few times trying to find the right position until finally her heart rate came back up. I was on oxygen by this point too just trying everything to get her heart rate back up. They got me all ready to start pushing at 12:22pm. The doctor poked his head in and said he would be right back. So I started pushing, which was a little harder this time because I was feeling absolutely nothing. With Taylor and Liam I was still able to feel pressure to push but I wasn't feeling anything this time. So I wasn't sure if I was making any progress or not.

As soon as I delivered her head they were all surprised because she was face up instead of face down like she should have been. And then they saw that she had a cord wrapped around her neck but they were able to get that off fairly easily (probably the reason her heart rate went down for that little bit). And then at 12:36pm my precious little girl was born with the rest of her cord wrapped around her leg and the pointiest little head I had ever seen. They laid her up on my belly and she was absolutely beautiful. I will never forget that moment, especially since I didn't get that with the other two.

They took her over to the warming bed and cleaned her up a little bit and she checked out just fine. She weighed in at 7lbs 4oz and was 20 inches long (but I think about a half inch of that was from her cone head!).




Sweetest moment ever...

1 comment:

Mona said...

So thankful Kelsey Rae is here and just perfect! Glad you had a good epidural. That makes all the difference in the world. Your 1st picture of you with Kelsey is priceless!!