Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lullaby...and Goodnight...Go to sleep little Taylor

Ok...ever since Taylor stopped nursing (before anyone freaks out on me she stopped when she was a year old...don't think it was just last week or something!). Anyways...ever since Taylor stopped nursing she has gone to sleep at night by sitting in the recliner with Will, drinking milk, and watching TV. I know that probably wasn't the best thing for her to do, but at the time we thought it was cute and that is just what she did. She would stay up too late some nights...but most nights it only took her 15-30 minutes to fall asleep and she was in bed by 10 at least. All was well until we moved here to my mom and dad's house. We just continued doing things like we were doing only she started not going to sleep until 10:30, or 11, or 11:30, some nights it was even midnight before she would finally doze off and I could put her in bed. (let me stop by saying that she only sits with Will now until I get Liam to sleep, then she sits with me and Will goes to sleep. I don't make him sit up that long with the princess!)

So me and Will decided that it was time for Taylor to start learning to go to sleep on her own. We are big fans (well...I am anyways, I think Will just tolerates it sometimes) of SuperNanny. Anyone who watches the show knows her suggestions for getting kids to sleep on their own. You put them in bed and say goodnight and walk away. Whenever they get out of bed, you just keep putting them back and eventually they will just go to sleep....eventually! Well we tried that Monday night. Will put Taylor in her bed and she didn't get out. Instead she started screaming at the top of her lungs. Sometimes she yelled "momma" or "daddy" but mostly she just screamed. She got out of bed 3 times I think and Will put her back. After an hour and a half she finally went to sleep. I decided though that this plan was probably not going to work too good for us. Especially since there are other people in the house who need to sleep (Liam, Nonnie, Poppy, and Will) I don't mind her screaming...I just don't want her waking everybody up.

So anyways...Tuesday night I decided to try something different. It is another SuperNanny suggestion. I put Taylor in her bed and then sat in her floor until she went to sleep. It only took her about 15 minutes and she was out for the night. She woke up the next morning in the best mood. Probably because she had actually gotten enough sleep! I tried it again last night and she did the same thing. So I think this method may work better for us. I will just slowly each night sit further and further away from her bed until she gets used to going to sleep on her own.

I know some people would just tell me to put her in my bed and be done with it...but if you all knew how the girl liked to sleep you wouldn't tell me to do that. She likes to be right in your face with her hands tucked under your head and her legs all intertwined with yours. And she kicks all night long! So that just isn't an option here! And after spending all day with her...sometimes I just need a break! And I want her to be able to fall asleep on her own. It is just a good thing to be able to do.

I am sure you are all wondering why I am even writing all this on here. You are probably bored to death by now...but I just wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions for us to try if this one doesn't work!

1 comment:

Julia said...

I hope this is still working out for you guys! I love SuperNanny but Darren refuses to watch it.