Friday, August 21, 2009

30 Years

Sunday August 9 was a very special day at church. We suprised my mom by honoring her for 30 years of playing the piano at the church. Susan, Elaine, Cathy, and Joyce had all been putting together a scrapbook of special notes from people in the church to present to Momma. They all got up in the service and spoke to Momma. There was a special slide show with pictures of Momma growing up and her with people around the church. I was the one who got most of those pictures from her picture albums. I had to be sneaky about it! She got flowers and an opal necklace and an opal ring too! She was very suprised! We were glad that we were able to keep this special day a secret from her. It wasn't easy because momma usually knows everything that goes on! It was a suprise to Daddy too because the key to keeping a secret from Momma is to not tell Daddy! He leaned over to me during the service and said "Did you know anything about this?" I just laughed.


Here is Momma and Joyce. They played together at the church for 25 years!

Here is Momma and Elaine. They have been friends since high school and have raised their kids together. Elaine presented Momma with a scholarship in her honor for a music major at Roane State.

Momma and Susan. She was giving Momma the necklace and ring.

Momma back at the piano!

Shawn singing "Thank you" in honor of Momma
I hope you enjoyed your day Momma. We enjoyed planning it and keeping a secret from you. Thank you for always being faithful to our Lord and for using your special talent for Him! And I really do wish I knew how to play as good as you. But then again...you told me to practice!





1 comment:

Mona said...

was really quite overwhelmed! I don't think anything like that had ever been done for me before. It was something that I will remember forever!! Thank you for your part in getting the pictures together - some were great, and some were - well - let's just say they were me way back when hair styles and clothes were different! I am thankful that I have been able to raise my family in a wonderful church that loves the Lord. I hope I am able to play for 30 more years!!