Friday, August 21, 2009

Tax Free shopping and Ladies' Night

Tax free shopping! Does it get any better than that? Well...they could just give me the stuff I need and that would be better...but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Anyways...me and the kids got up early Friday morning (August 7...I know, I am behind!) and got ready to go shopping. Momma rode up to Knoxville with us and we met Kimberly and Logan and Abigail up there. We had quite a bit of stuff to get. We got some school supplies, clothes, and new socks! I am very blessed to not have to buy a lot of clothes for my kids thanks to Kimberly's hand-me-downs for them. But I do like to buy them a few new things every now and then. And tax free shopping was just the time to do it! We were pretty rushed all day long but got everything done that we needed to. The kids did pretty good in the car all day and I was very grateful for Nonnie's help! Side note...I have since returned like half the stuff I bought that day. I am bad about that...buying something and then returning it later. And I also found out that Old Navy will price match anything you buy for up to 14 days after your purchase. So if you buy something and then go in there 2 weeks later and see that it is cheaper, you just have to show them your receipt and they will give you the difference! You all probably already knew that...but I didn't and I was excited when I went in the store yesterday and found out most of the stuff I bought was cheaper and they gave me the difference!
That evening our church hosted a Ladies' Night for all the women in our church and their guests. It is an annual event that we all look forward to each year. This year the event was planned on a very special lady's birthday. It was Lila's birthday on this day and we honored her by giving her a birthday gift from our WMU circle and singing to her. She really enjoyed it. We all love her very very much!
The speaker this year was really great. She is the daughter of one of our members and she used to go to the church. Her message really spoke to me. She talked about how in her life she finally had to realize that she is not smart enough and can't work hard enough to "fix" things in her life. I struggle with this sometimes. I feel like I have to do everything by myself. But in reality...I need God's help more than I realize sometimes. He is my ultimate strength and I need him every hour of every day. I really enjoyed hearing Miki Meadows sing too!
For a long time ladies of the church have decorated tables for the evening. For the past few years we have used the theme of picking a song and decorating the table to match that song. This is the last year we will be using that theme because we have all run out of ideas! But the tables were really cute this year and here are a few of them!


Lila being honored at Ladies' Night

My table...my song was "If that isn't Love"

Jessica and Amber's table...their song was "Sweet Hour of Prayer"
Sorry girls...I didn't get to take a picture after the clock was in the middle of the table!
I chose to sit at this table with my wonderful friend and sister-in-law. It had nothing to do with the fact that there were chocolate covered strawberries on the table!

Momma's table...I think her song was "The beauty of the Earth"


Kimberly and Miki's table...they did "Fisher's of Men"
I always enjoy Ladies' Night at the church. It is such a great time of getting together with friends. So many times we don't get to just "hang out" with our church friends because when we are with them we are always doing something! So this was a fun time to just get to talk and be together. If you are reading this and didn't get to come this year...I hope you will join us next year!

No comments: