Saturday, August 22, 2009

Back to School


I have made a big decision in my life recently. I have decided to go back to school and get my Master's degree. I made the decision this past May and everything kind of moved fast from there. I looked into different schools and ultimately decided to go to Carson-Newman College. I decided not to go through TTU because their Masters program is completely online. As good as that first sounded (no daycare for the kids, do classes on my own time) I am just not dedicated enough to keep on task and learn all that I will need to learn on my own. I decided not to go to UT because it seemed almost impossible to get in there! They require you to have a competitive GRE score (which I haven't even taken yet, so I don't know how well I will do). And there was some class you have to take before you can start the program. And I wouldn't have been able to start the program until next Fall. And I would have talked myself out of going in that amount of time! It just seemed like a lot of trouble to me! The only thing that I still think about was that UT has a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner program. I would ultimately like to work in women's health, but I will still be able to do that with a Family Nurse Practitioner degree (which is the degree I will be getting).
This program at Carson-Newman will take me 5 semesters and I will graduate in May 2011. Sometimes that seems like a long time away, but I know it will go by fast and I will be glad I have done this. My classes will be 2 days a week this semester. And then the other semesters will be classes one day a week and clinicals 2 days a week. I start classes on Wednesday August 26th and I am very nervous! Please keep me in your prayers as I begin this journey. I know it will be tough and even seem impossible at times. I am going to require a lot of help with the kids and I am not very good at asking for help with them. I always feel so guilty! But I know that I will need help.
Speaking of that...the kids are starting daycare on Tuesday. I am very nervous for them but also know that this will be good for them. For those of you who are around me and my kids a lot, you know that my kids are VERY clingy. Which they have every right to be. I have been staying home with Taylor since she was 8 months old and I have stayed home with Liam his whole life. So they have just gotten used to me always being around. Daycare will be very strange and difficult for them but I know that they will be taken very good care of. And this will be good for them! (I just have to keep telling myself that!) They will be going 2 days a week and then still be home with me the rest of the time.
So please keep me and my family in your prayers as we begin this new journey. I am anxious and nervous and am really just ready to get started. I am sure that in a few weeks I will be wishing it was over!

2 comments:

The Raymonds said...

Yay! You will do great in the program. You're most difficult times will be being away from your children! It will go by fast and you'll be so glad you did it! Good luck- if you need anything at all, just ask!

Mona said...

I have all the confidence in the world in you - you can do anything you put your mind to! Stay focused - look for the light at the end of the tunnel. The hardest part is starting!!