Monday, August 2, 2010

What a Weekend...

Please allow me to take this opportunity to whine a little bit...my children do it so well, so I think I will try it too!
Let me just give you a recap of the events or lack of events that took place this weekend. I took the kids to daycare Friday morning, which was a great thing considering I wasn't feeling 100% that morning. So I came back home, spent way too much time on the internet, watched too much TV, and got to feeling better by the afternoon. My mom called about 3 and asked if I could come to Kroger and help her jump her car off because the battery was dead and she was sitting in the parking lot in 100 degree heat with milk in the car.
While I did not mind one little bit going to help her, I am left to wonder why she thought I would know how to jump her car off. While I have watched it be done several times in my life...I have never actually done this myself. I am by no means a mechanic! But alas...I jumped in the car and headed to Kroger (I was already going to meet Will there a little later, so it really was no big deal). But anyways...I got there and got her jumper cables out and then had to call Will to ask him how to get the hood open on the van. After he laughed at me a little, he talked me through it and I *finally* got the hood opened. So then he had to talk me through hooking up the jumper cables...all the while reminding me not to blow my engine up by touching the two metal thingys. Anyways...we got my moms car started and she was on her way.
I informed her that next time...since she has jumper cables in the back of her car, she can ask a perfect stranger at the store to help her out next time and I am sure they would be perfectly happy to help. We southerners are like that you know...friendly and willing to help each other out. Or maybe she will know what to do on her own next time since she watched me in all my glory this time!
Anyways...I was then instructed by Will to go to my mom and dad's house and get a chainsaw for him. So I did and then I came back and met him at Lowe's. Our new favorite store now that we have "house" things to do and fix.
So we toddled around there for a few minutes and then headed to Kroger. While in Kroger Will informed me that he would be working the next morning and wanted to go to sleep early that night.
What he didn't realize was that statement ruined my whole evening and Saturday. I had wanted to rent a movie to watch that night, but with him needing to go to bed early...scratch that!
I was supposed to go to the church Saturday morning and help with setting up for our annual Give-Away-Day. But I would not have been very much help anymore since I would have had to bring the kids along with me...
Anyways...So now my Saturday was going to be a fun-filled day with my kids, again!
Now a note to my husband...Don't get me wrong...I appreciate that you got up really early on a Saturday and worked and brought us home more money. It is just that I was not planning on being home by myself with the kids again. I love them...but they drive me insane sometimes!
Ok...so back to Friday. So then I took the groceries with me and went to pick up the kids while Will went to get a haircut. I got the kids and went on my merry way back home. While I was merging onto the highway, the car behind me decided that merging and looking where he was going was not for him. So he proceeded to slam into the back of my van. Yes...we were in a wreck! Everyone was just fine, just a little shook up. The people who hit me thought it would be ok if we just shook hands and went on our merry way. The girl actually told me that she thought it was just a little scratch on my bumper and it would probably just "buff out." I don't think so sister...we are calling the police to come and make a report. I later found out the reason they didn't want to call the police was because they didn't have insurance. I mean, they just moved from Loudon and they just hadn't had time to get insurance yet. Excuse me...I believe it is a law in the whole state of Tennessee that you have car insurance...not just in our city! So anyways...excuses excuses and they got a ticket and I am left with a bruised van. We still have to figure out if we will have to pay for fixing it or not. But if we do end up having to pay for fixing it, something is seriously wrong. In my professional opinion...if you don't have insurance and you hit someone, you should have to pay to fix their car. That just makes sense doesn't it?
Oh well. We were all ok. And the van will get fixed.
So that leaves me to Saturday. Will got up early and left for work. The kids woke up and started terrorizing the house immediately. I promise I don't take my eyes off of them for long...but I needed to wash the dishes. So I had to focus on that for a few minutes at least. During that time Liam decided to have art time and drew ALL OVER the TV (yes, our 50 inch TV) with a highlighter. Just in case you are wondering...it does wipe off quite easily with a dry cloth. So I went back to washing dishes and when I was done I found my kids playing in the sink in their bathroom. They had two of my little jewelry boxes and were filling them up with water and dumping it who knows where. I am still finding little wet spots all over the house. So those got put up.
Then, heaven forbid, I needed to take a shower because we were going to eat that night with my family for my brother-in-laws birthday (Happy 34th Birthday Benji!). I had not been in the shower for 5 minutes when Liam ran in there telling me that he had pooped. Remember we are potty training...I had no idea what this meant. Did he poop in his little potty like a big boy? Did he poop in the floor? Where was the poop? I hurried as fast as I could in the shower, got up, and went on a poop hunt. Oh I just love being a mommy and having to use phrases like "poop hunt."
After much investigation and questioning it was determined that Taylor assisted Liam onto the big potty (before or after he pooped I still don't know). Liam in fact get some poop in the potty, but he also got some poop in the floor, and some poop on the side of the potty. And when I found the two little angels, Taylor was attempting to wipe Liam's little bottom with wet toilet paper. Oh my... So we got that all cleaned up and I was really looking forward to Will coming home.
Will walked in the house, told me he had to go help my dad mow the church really quick, changed clothes, and walked right back out the door. I kinda just stood there and thought...what just happened here? Am I stuck with these two again? With no help? Oh well...such is life! But because of this I was now not going to get to go up to Knoxville early and shop at the 1/2 price consignment sale that was going on. I was pretty disappointed about that, but what was I to do? I somehow managed to get my hair dry and get both of them dressed by the time Will got back. We then left for Knoxville and were only about 5 minutes late getting there. We then proceeded to ask for a table for 21 at the restaurant. I know they just love it when we do that! But anyways...it was all good. I even talked Will into taking us all to Target after we ate and we enjoyed just walking around a little bit.
We had a great day at church on Sunday and great naps on Sunday afternoon. It was just a crazy weekend. And I do not wish to repeat it anytime soon. I like the money Will makes when he has to work on Saturdays...but I would like him to be at home more.
I love my children so so much, but somedays they really really try my patience. They whine and scream and fight and destroy my house and the few nice things that we have. This is just a really really hard age. And it would be hard enough to have 1 toddler/preschooler to deal with...but 2? It just really takes it out of me somedays. I know I am not the only one who deals with this on a daily basis. But sometimes I just wonder if other people's kids are as crazy as mine. But then again...I love that they have so much energy and don't just sit and watch TV all day long. And I even love that they are so strong-willed, it will be a great advantage to them one day! But right now...sometimes I just want to go sit in my closet and scream and cry and rock myself to sleep. But then they come and hug me and give me slobbery little kisses and I just melt. And Liam tells me "I wuv eww Mommy" and Taylor tells me "You are my very best friend Mommy." And I know it is all worth it.
If you read this whole post...wow...sorry to whine and complain so much. I know that I am blessed so much by God. We have two beautiful healthy children and I know that is more than a lot of people can say. I am so happy and blessed. And do not take one day of these blessings for granted.

No comments: