Monday, April 5, 2010

Baptist Women Get-Together 2010

I had an amazing time this year at our annual Baptist Women Conference. We have an amazing group of women in our church...and even though all of them don't get to go on this trip...I love the ones that do! We are trying to get more and more people to go with us next year! The picture above is the whole group Sunday morning before the last worship service.

Here are all the "young women" in the group! We hope to out-number the "more experienced women" next year!

Here is the whole group minus Carolyn while we were out shopping in Gatlinburg! It was such a pretty day and we had so much fun!

This year at the conference I learned so many things that are helping me grow in Christ. I went to some amazing conferences with some very inspiring women!

I went to one conference called "Spend Yourself." I didn't really know what this conference was going to be about...but boy did I need to hear it! The lady read Isaiah 58: 1-11

She said that God knows when we are just going through the motions of being a Christian. He knows when we are being obedient to what He has asked us to do, but are grumbling the whole time. He appreciates that we have pity on those around us, who are where we have been. But He wants us to do more than just feel sorry for someone...He wants us to do something about it! He wants us to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, GIVE of ourselves! The speaker said when we feel like the dark clouds are around us and we get depressed, it is usually a time when we are focusing on ourselves...The kids are getting on MY nerves, I don't have time for this, I don't have anytime for ME, MY life is so stressful...ME, ME, ME!!! She said the Bible tells us to give of ourselves when we begin to feel this way. We need to stop focusing on ourselves...then God will show Himself to us and will lift those dark clouds. The Lord will guide us always.

I really needed to hear this lesson because I do find myself having pity parties for myself quite often...especially when I am at home with the kids all day long! But when I think back to those times, I am all focused on me. I am getting frustrated that my kids don't listen to me and they whine all the time. I feel those dark clouds start to loom over me. So the next time I begin to feel this way I think I might just load the kids up in the car and head somewhere to help someone. We could call a friend and see if they need any groceries picked up, or their house cleaned up a little. We could do any number of things together to help me get my focus back on God and not myself and I will also be teaching my children how important missions work is! How this life is not about us. It is about glorifying God and lifting up His name!

There were many other lessons that I learned and I hope to share them with you sometime. I really am learning everyday though that this life is not about me. Every day I should be glorifying God and letting His light shine through me. Everything we do should be to advance the Kingdom of God!

1 comment:

Mona said...

I appreciate that you called us "more experienced" rather than OLD! I do hope that some more younger ones go next year. All it takes is to go 1 time and then they will be hooked. It is so much more than just getting away from the kids for the weekend!