Friday, April 30, 2010

Our First 5K

The family all ready to run! Daddy, Will, Kristy, Amber, Kimberly, and Tim

Last Saturday April 24th was the Rittenhouse/Emory River 5K and Half Marathon. Let me give a little background. 2 years ago my brother just up and decided that he was going to run the half marathon with Mike Weaver. And he did it very successfully! I was pregnant with Liam at the time and said that the next year I would do the 5K. I think Will said he would do it the next year too. So last year rolled around and we just weren't really prepared to do the 5K...so we chickened out! But my dad ran it last year and Tim did the half marathon again.

But this year we said we were going to run the 5K and we were serious this time! We had all kinds of plans to practice and train for it...but life kept getting in the way and it was too cold or it was rainy and we never got out there and practiced. Well, I take that back. One afternoon we went down to the park and walked/jogged almost 2 miles. But we were determined to do this 5K anyway! And it helped me that Kimberly and Amber were going to do it with me!


Here comes Daddy! He finished in 30 something minutes. Yes...he beat all of us!

Next came Will! He finished in 41 minutes! He looks pretty good here if I do say so myself!

And last...but certainly not least came Kimberly, Me, and Amber! We finished in 51:09! Well I think Kimberly and Amber actually finished in 51:08...but I really think we all finished at the same time! Even though we are running in this picture...we really walked the majority of the time. We could have finished much faster...but we talked the whole time! We will get serious about it next year!

Momma watched Liam and Taylor while the rest of us ran. She also took all of the pictures! Thank you Momma!

They were both pretty thirsty too after all the running around the park they did! They were so excited to be there that morning and both took GREAT naps that afternoon!


Will and me after the race. So happy that we both finished!

And here comes Mike Weaver, one of our good friends from church. He finished the half marathon. I think this is his 4th year doing it! He finished in just over 2 hours I think.

And here comes my brother Tim! He finished the half marathon in 2 hours 20 minutes this year. He was a little slower than past years, but his knees and hamstrings really started bothering him this year. I am just impressed that he finished again...with no training! Crazy man!

Tim and Amber after Tim finished. Amber had already been home and changed into her work clothes. After all that walking she had to go stand on her feet all afternoon at Sonic and walk more!

Mike and Tim...I cannot imagine the pain I would be in if I ran a half marathon. These two are amazing to me!

We had a great morning running/walking and I hope that we can do more 5Ks in the future. I would just like to be able to keep up with Will next year! We were all pretty sore the next day at church, but we made it! Congrats to all of us!

No comments: