Monday, November 29, 2010

Kingston Christmas Parade

Tonight was the Kingston Christmas parade and Taylor was in it with her tumbling class Topflight Cheerleading.

She was so excited about getting to be in a parade. We had a crazy night ahead of us.
I had clinical that day and didn't get out of clinicals until 5. I was supposed to have Taylor lined up in the parade by 6 for the parade that started at 7. I knew that she would need to eat before the parade since it would be so late by the time it was over. So I rushed back from Knoxville, picked the kids up at school, and went straight to the community center in Kingston to start changing us all into our warm clothes. Will met us there a little after 6 and brought us food, but he quickly left to go meet Nonnie at Lowes and leave his truck there. Anways...we all got dressed in warm clothes (not easy in the car while they were trying to eat!) and me and Taylor got out and rushed over to where they were lining up for the parade. It was 6:30 at this point...so we were only 30 minutes late!

It was really no big deal though because they weren't even lined up yet and were not going anywhere yet. So Taylor got in line and was so excited, and then it started raining. It rained and rained and rained. And then it rained even heavier and showed no signs of stopping. I was really hoping that they would just reschedule the parade and tell us to go home, but eventually we started moving and dancing in the parade. At this point, Taylor was soaking wet though and she was not interested in dancing in the parade. She kept looking at me and would say, "Momma, we are walking in real water." And then she would ask me why we were walking in the rain. It was funny, but not so funny because I was also soaking wet! Eventually Taylor started doing a few of the dance moves with everyone else. We saw the Roberts' and she got to wave to them and then we saw Will and Liam and Nonnie, Poppy, Uncle Jim, and Amber. She danced a little for them, and then she was done.

We ran off to the side and decided that the parade would just be over for us there! We got back in the van and headed home. We literally had to strip everything off and wash it tonight. Our shoes and jackets and clothes were all soaking wet. And we have to wear the shoes and jackets tomorrow, so we had to take care of all that.
I felt bad for Taylor because she was so excited about being in her first parade and then it rained and rained and she really didn't even get to experience it. But she will have many more parades to be in and I know that she will enjoy them! This was just not a great first experience!

1 comment:

Mona said...

I agree - it was NOT a night for a parade. But Taylor's comments were really funny! Of course, I was dry under my umbrella!