Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lock-In 2010

So for a little over a year now I have been teaching the Acteens class at church. Acteens is a group for Middle school and High school girls that is focused on missions and helping others. I did have a co-teacher, but she has felt led to serve God elsewhere right now and I completely understand that! However, that has left me to teach these girls all by myself! AHHH!!! Me and a group of teenage girls! It gets a little hairy at times to say the least!


But anyways...Beverly, the GA's leader in the church, decided that she wanted to do a lock-in for the GAs and Acteens at the church. Oh what was she thinking? So this past Friday/Saturday was the lock-in. Beverly had all kinds of great games and activities planned for the girls. They played a "get to know you" game at first and then they played a few group games. Then started the "make-over" part of the night!



The girls had a great time putting make-up on each other...
And painting each others' nails! I was glad that none of them tried to do anything to me! I tried to just stay away from all that! Bigger girls especially loved making over the little girls. But then they weren't so sure when the little girls started wanting to make-over the big girls!

There was also a lot of eating that took place! There was pizza and chips and dip and pigs in a blanket and sausage stuff and ice cream and gum and pickle rolls and candy...and there wasn't ANYTHING left by morning! Those girls can put away some food!
They played a fun game where the adults hid some glow-in-the dark bracelets and then the girls went to find them in the dark. They really liked that. And then they played a lot of hide-and-go-seek in the dark.
We finally convinced them to start getting quiet around 2AM. I think they may have finally quit talking and went to sleep around 3AM. We all froze all night long because we didn't get the heat turned on right. Our bad...but I think all the girls had a really great time. They all started waking up around 7 or 7:30. One of the ladies from the church brought by sausage biscuits for everyone. I think the final count was about 23 girls and 4 adults. It was a really fun time, but I am not sure how soon I am wanting to try it again!
All the little girls slept up on the stage. I thought about going up there and cuddling with them in the middle of the night because I was sure they were putting off some heat up there all snuggled up!

All the bigger girls slept on air mattresses. They were loaned out by some great people in the church. We had enough for all the girls to sleep on so that was nice.


The plan for the morning was that I would help clean up the church, then go home and get a few hours of rest, and then work on a paper I had due the rest of the day. Liam had stayed with Nonnie the night before and Taylor had stayed with Melanie because Will had to work on Saturday. I was cleaning up the church that morning and Melanie called me saying that Taylor was throwing up. So plans changed quickly and I had to go pick her up. So instead of getting to work on my paper, I got to cuddle on the couch and watch a movie and take a nap with my sweet little girl. She never did throw up anymore so she probably just ate something that didn't agree with her. But it was nice to just get to rest and cuddle with her. I love our girl time! After Will got home from work he took Taylor (who was feeling much better) over to Nonnie and Poppy's house where Liam was. They stayed over there until late so that I could work on my paper. Will is pretty much amazing like that!
I remember going to lock-ins when I was a teenager and they were always so much fun. So I hope the girls had a great time and that they realize that they can have fun at church and with their church friends and that they don't need all that crazy stuff out there. I worry about my Acteens girls all the time because I know that they are growing up in a messed up world and that they are tempted with things that are becoming "normal." I pray that God will guide them to make the right decisions in their lives. They are all so precious and I love them so much!

1 comment:

Mona said...

I didn't see any HEALTHY food there! Looks like everyone had a great time - I bet they are already planning the next one! Maybe it will be warmer next time!